22-10-2018 21:32:00
22-10-2018 21:40:58
United Kingdom : Travel Identity Card for Travel Between Great Britain, Northern Ireland and Eire (1947)

This had to be carried at all times and was a kind of internal passport, which permitted movement between the British Isles, Northern Ireland and Eire (Republic of Ireland).

Border controls were imposed on the northern side of the border in July 1940. The Northern Ireland government passed legislation requiring anyone in Northern Ireland, aged 14 and over, to hold an approved identity document.

Before this, the was an agreement that provided UK law to deem Irish Free State to be part of the UK for the purposes of immigration law. It was fully implemented in 1925 as in itself established a Common Travel Area (CTA). However, it was suspended on the outbreak of war in 1939 and travel restrictions were introduced between the islands of Great Britain and Ireland. Travel restrictions also applied to people travelling from Northern Ireland to elsewhere in the UK.

The immigration controls between the islands of Ireland and Great Britain lasted until 1952.


1. This travel identity card, together with the holder’s national registration identity card and ration book, must be presented by the traveller to the Immigration Officer at the port.

2. All persons entering Northern Ireland must hold an approved document of identity. Residence permits must be obtained by those whose stay in Northern Ireland is to be of more than six weeks’ duration.

3. Under the Eire Emergency Powers (Passenger Traffic Restrictions) Order, 1941, all persons (with the exception of officials and others travelling on official duty, as well as the personnel of ships and aircraft) should be in possession of a passport, travel identity card, travel permit card or other official document of identity, otherwise they may be refused permission to land. Permission to land may also be refused on medical grounds.

4. Currency.—Travellers to Eire should note that restrictions have been imposed on the taking out by travellers leaving the United Kingdom of foreign currency, drafts, letters of credit and traveller’s cheques (all expressed in foreign currency), gold, securities, life assurance policies and documents of title relating to securities or policies. A traveller who wishes to take with him any such item should consult his bankers, who will explain the precise nature of the restrictions and the procedure to be followed in order to apply for the necessary Treasury permission.
Care should be taken of this document. It should not be allowed to pass into the possession of an unauthorised person. If lost or destroyed the fact and circumstances should be reported immediately to the issuing office. A new travel identity card can only be issued in such cases after exhaustive enquiries.